Monday, September 14, 2009

Downtown Winnipeg

So, today I stopped and took out my camera as I walked to work. For some reason, it was completely nerve wracking.

I have no idea why, but part of it has to do with taking out $1,000 or so worth of photography equipment in what is essentially the armpit of the city. Also, I did not want to take a picture of anyone without their consent, so I was making a point to put the camera down when anyone approached.

No one said anything, and nothing unexpected happened. It should be easier to do next time, and I'm glad that I did it.

Now for a little dose of urban decay. Only two shots, but I was in a hurry at the time.

Back alley to the parking lot

This is the alley I walk through every day on the way from my office to the parking lot. It's nothing unusual for downtown alleys, I suppose, but this one is mine. I've been at this office for about a year now, maybe a bit more, and in this alley I've witnessed bum fights, drug deals, and a guy getting a hummer behind the dumpster. It's always entertaining.

I went mono for this shot, as urban-decay-type shots always seem to be in mono. I don't know why it works, but it works. My only complaint with this shot is that the weather was bright and sunny, and the strong shadow and clear sky don't make the shot 'brooding' enough, for lack of a better word. I'll be sure to reshoot it on the next overcast day.

It burns, the clap, deserves a slap.

My favorite tag in that alley is this one. Why? I have no idea. I like the script, the text is amusing, and it just never fails to make me snicker.

As a picture, it is what it is: A brick wall with some low-quality graffiti. It's a part of the whole alley experience. I had to sit on the dumpster to get it in frame on the 50mm lens too. Icky.

No comments:

Post a Comment