Monday, June 7, 2010

We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo...

Day 150 of Project 365 and we sprung a surprise zoo trip on my little girl. She was, as you might imagine, elated. So was Daddy.

All the shots below were taken with the 7D, 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM and many of them with the 1.4x extender. I won't bother recapping the exposure settings on each shot but you can assume that everything was shot wide open: f/2.8 without the extender and f/4 with it. Some of the lower light or indoor shots I would bump the ISO to 200 or 400, but all the sunny shots are ISO 100.

I kept an even dozen of my best shots, and my favourite three are at the end. Enjoy!

Pileated Woodpecker
Pileated (?) Woodpecker

Peacock Plumage
Peacock Plumage

Snowy Owl
SnowyOwl

Amur Leopard
Amur Leopard

Kangaroo Family
Checking on the Joeys

Stellar Sea Eagle in Flight - I hate the chainlink background, but what can you do?
Stellar Sea Eagle in Flight

English Sparrow
English Sparrow

Stalking Vulture
Stalking Vulture

Mallard in Green Water
Mallard in Green Water

And now my favourite three shots of the day:

Growling Mountain Lion
Growling Mountain Lion

Flamingo at Rest
Flamingo at Rest

Lift-Off - Incredibly lucky timing on this one
Lift-Off

When you compare this with visit to the zoo last fall, I think you can see a difference in my subject selection, composition, and post processing abilities. That's roughly 8 or 9 months of learning. In three weeks or so I'll be visiting family in Ontario and we will be visiting the Metro Toronto Zoo which will provide a greater variety of opportunities to shoot, but I'm happy with this warm-up visit to our little zoo here in Winnipeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment