Tuesday, April 20, 2010

This post is eco-friendly!

Had a chance to stroll a bit this afternoon, and I had a chance to shoot something I've been waiting for.

Manitoba Hydro, our provincial gas/electric distributor has built one of the greenest office buildings in North America, kitty-corner to where my work is. It's not a particularly attractive building, but it has a wide variety of new techniques and technologies to conserve power, including a series of solar vents used to cool the building in the summer.

Since our temps are pretty warm right now, they were in operation today:

One Window Closed

This was a *lot* tougher to shoot than I thought it would be. Nice clear sky, great reflections and a neat geometric pattern... Sounds easy! Well, shooting from ground level introduces some weird perspective issues, and more than that, you really can't point to an individual part of the frame that becomes a focal point.

The reason I kept this shot and this crop out of the dozen or so I took is the one closed window. It breaks up the pattern a bit, and I hope it draws the eye, but I can't really say if it was successful or not. I'll leave that up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment