Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A big week coming up...

As you might remember, I have a rented EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM coming in to do some portrait practice with family friends this week. The lens arrived today, and it is sitting in it's Pelican case at home with my lovely wife. I am itching to go home from work and get it, but I still need a paycheck from my day job!

My rental was arranged with a Canadian company called LensLenders and so far my experience has been excellent. Very good communication, and the lens arrived several days earlier than my rental period is scheduled to begin. They do $99CDN weekend rentals, or $149 a week including shipping both ways, with discounts for additional weeks. They rent a wide variety of Canon and Nikon lenses, and a few Olympus ones as well. So far, I would highly recommend the service.

As is my history with hobbies, I tend to overdo things a bit, so I have also purchased a background support system with 10' x 20' Muslin backdrops in both white and black. As I was chatting about this with friends at the office, one of them has actually asked me to come and shoot some promo photos for his newly formed motorcycle racing team. It's just a local team for a local league, but it's a way to get my name out there.

I never intended to do this as anything more than a hobby, but if people are going to start asking me to do shoots for them, maybe I can make a few bucks on the side evenings and weekends? The only thing stopping me from that idea is a simple question of self confidence. I'm not convinced I'm any good at this yet!

Maybe I'll have some answers by next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment