Wednesday, May 12, 2010

For the birds...

That's right, day 131 is for the birds. I spent today making a point of taking some bird shots now that I have a little reach in my bag o' lenses.

Our backyard has a variety of feeders and we attract a lot of songbirds. They are, as one would expect, a bit flighty when someone comes into the back yard, so I pulled up a lawn chair, trained my lens on the feeder and tried to stay still for 20 or 30 minutes while snapping anything interesting that came by.

I got a couple of shots that were nice enough to keep, and although these aren't really anything special as photos, I do like to have a record of our backyard visitors.

Today, my best shots were of an unknown finch, and a mourning dove:

Mystery Finch

Mourning Dove

In addition, by the office I saw the first goslings of the season, going for a walk with Mom and Dad. I would have liked a closer shot, but geese get notoriously grumpy when they are nesting or have young, so I didn't want to agitate them.

Family Walk

The 70-200 is turning out to be everything I remember from this renting the lens, but it's easy to forget in the day of super-zoom point and shoots that 200mm is not a ton of focal length. It's certainly a lot more than I had, and the IS is completely worth the money, but if I want to every get serious about wildlife photography a 400mm or longer lens is going to have to find it's way into my kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment