Saturday, May 29, 2010

Please extend my line of credit...

Two days worth of pics today. Last night was a bit busy, but I did get a chance to play with a new toy that arrived, courtesy of the Buy and Sell forums at FredMiranda.com:

Extend my credit line

My extender arrived! So basically, this works with the new lens to add 40% to the focal length for the loss of one stop of aperture and a little focus speed. Basically, the 70-200mm f/2.8 becomes a 98-280mm f/4 but it retains stabilization. For bird shoots, and zoo visits it's a fair trade-off.

Today, we went to our local bird supply store Wild Birds Unlimited to see a few birds brought in from the Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre: Perry the Peregrine Falcon and Tao the Great Horned Owl.

Falcon in the Bird Store

Owl in the Bird Store

Glorious birds, and very patient photo subjects. Low ambient flourescent lighting does not make for ideal photography. This is where the 50mm f/1.4 really shines. I could have gone with the 70-200 but it's awkward in a crowd, and it's not something I want to drag everywhere. It would have given me a much tighter shot with more detail, but these are fine, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment