Saturday, March 6, 2010

Family photoshoot #2

Today was a good day, did a family shoot on-site again, had a lot of fun ideas that they were happy to go along with, and I did a little more post processing work on this set. I'm happy with the results, so I'm going to say that Day 65 was a good one.

Pretty much all shots here were done with the 50mm f/1.4 USM, f/5.6, and 1/200th shutter. I screwed up and some of the shots were at ISO 400, but the noise isn't bad. I varied the lights to control exposure as we moved around.

First, meet the family:

Faces

I work with the Mom, and this is her husband, son and daughter. I blatantly stole this concept from Elizabeth Halford who is a regular contributor at DPS and a portrait photographer that I really admire. I had them jumping back and forth from surprised faces to silly faces until it broke into laughter, which is the final shot taken. It worked well, although the daughter couldn't do 'surprised' so she is just smiling in that shot. It's okay though, because she is FREAKING ADORABLE. She was also so patient and helpful, a great little subject to shoot.

Next shot:

Rachelle and her Daughter

In this shot I realized that Mom's hair was throwing a shadow over one eye. I couldn't see that on the small screen on the camera when I was shooting, so I missed it. It's not terrible, but I notice it in a few shots and I hate it.

One more shot of the daughter:

Rachelle's daughter on her bed

This is her bed, in her room. She was very happy to show it to me, and was happy to pose here. I tried to direct her arms and legs a little bit, but at five years old she's not the best at taking direction. A good shot, but the pose does seem a bit forced.

The last two shots are a single shot, and a collage of the teenage son and his guitar:

Dustin on his Fender

Guitar Collage

The single shot is in the collage, but I think it's a strong shot so I included it separately. This was the only series of shots that I used my muslins on, and the PP involved to kill the shadows and folds is *really* annoying. Whenever possible, I'm shooting walls for backgrounds from here on out. I like the collage, and the layout is fun too. I had a lot of fun putting those together.

Oh, one more note. Apparently, I have a website for the business now. WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

The galleries are not completely done, but feel free to look around and let me know what you think about the site. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment