Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Red light district.

Day 61 and my hand still kinda throbs. Silly little snake, people aren't food!

The snakes were instrumental in today's shot though. I was playing around with directly shooting light sources, and I was snapping a few shots of spiral CFLs. They looked kind of fun, but they lack intensity.

I was shooting a red bulb, when I realized that I have another source of red light, the heat lamps on my reptile cages. I flipped on of the reflectors over, took a few captures before I could dial in a manual exposure I liked.

Here is the keeper of the bunch:

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave...

Okay, I have to say it. I titled this one, "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave..." Since my name actually *is* Dave, I really don't have a choice, do I?

Final exposure settings were 1/60th, f/6.3 at ISO 200. I had dialed in ISO 200 earlier in the day and forgot to switch it back, but the noise level at ISO 200 on the XSi is still basically nil. I did bring this up about a 1/6th of a stop in post processing as well, just to fine-tune it.

I don't recall if I mentioned it earlier or not, but I have another family/child shoot on Saturday, so I'll keep building my portfolio in anticipation of launching my small business soon. I'm less nervous about this one, and I take that as a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment